Holiday Greetings from the Iceman!
It’s my favorite time of the year. The season of giving thanks, bestowing gifts and adopting resolutions for doing better in the New Year. That makes this the ideal time for the Iceman Charity annual appeal.
I have 2,446 children on my wish list. That’s because the Iceman Charity’s mission is to bring smiles to the faces of underprivileged kids. I’m so very thankful for the record donations made this year to help Bangkok’s orphans from benefactors big and small.
Who is this Iceman? I got my nickname, the Iceman, through my volunteer work on behalf of children at one of the biggest orphanages in my adopted home of Bangkok. I decided to bring them just a little joy. It started with a simple objective – give each and every one of the 2,446 orphans a taste of happiness: an ice cream treat. Their joy at this simple pleasure changed my life and created the Iceman Charity.
Fourteen years ago, I decided to give the Wat Sakaeo Orphans Foundation a percentage of my income to support its professional mission – the welfare of the children and their development into productive, well-educated adults. Later, friends, colleagues and clients got involved, helping to make an even bigger impact on the lives of these children. Today, these orphans have .
The friends of the Iceman Charity achieved another record year in 2017 with a series of accomplishments that make a direct impact on the lives of the Wat Sakaeo orphans:
- We transformed Bangsadey House – the latest of our renovations of dormitories – into a modern, low-energy building with new drinking water and shower facilities.
- We constructed a 12-meter-high sunroof for the playing field. This creates a space protected from the sun’s rays nearly half the size of a football pitch, allowing the kids to play outdoors on sunny days.
- We organised an amazing art exhibition for the kindergarten children.
- Our Health and Cleanliness Project – and regular volunteering days – continue to grow and change these children’s daily lives for the better by instilling the importance of good hygiene.
- And we continued to provide daily rice donations to feed the children, along with the regular ice cream treats that they love so much.
But our work is far from done, as events this year brought into sharp focus. Severe weather during the rainy season proved a disaster for the orphanage, damaging roofs in the canteen and flooding the Kindergarten. Now we need to make urgent repairs to the roofs, walls and ceilings, as well as renovating beds and mattresses from water damage.
Your donations are essential to making these repairs and keeping our planned renovation strategy moving. Can you help? I know that if you could see the faces of the children, as I have, your heart would guide you to join the Iceman Charity’s efforts.
I know there are many worthy charities, but these 2,446 underprivileged lives, who might never taste ice cream without help, are mine. I’m grateful for all the support we receive for Wat Sakaeo from so many people, and hope you will consider these children for your Christmas giving and New Year’s resolutions this year. Thank you for making a difference for these kids.
Volker Capito – The Iceman
Donations can be done here: PAYPAL DONATION